Sunday, May 13, 2012

A Camping Chair is Not a Beach Chair.

A few days ago I had plans to go to the beach with a couple of friends who always bring chairs. 


I've never really been much of a chair-bringer but, not wanting to feel totally left out of all conversation for laying at ground level on a towel...






...I decided it would be best to bring a chair. 

Sooo. I don't actually own a beach chair... but one of the perks of having parents for roommates, is access to their plethora of crap lying around. 
(I think i could have probably phrased that a little more elegantly; however, they seriously just have a ton of stuff everywhere & if you're patient enough, you could probably find just about anything you need somewhere in the house or within a short distance outside of it.)


There was bound to be a beach chair somewhere in the midst of all the stuff. 


Nope. 


[Well. Let me be a tiny bit more specific. I Found one. But it was totally busted so I just went ahead & counted it as not really being a beach chair anymore.]






Which begs the question, "if the chair is completely broken, why do we still have it?" ...
Exactly.




Just as I was about to cut my losses, my ridiculously excellent problem solving skills kicked in & I realized that a camping chair would not only do the job, but would also position me a smidge higher than my beach mates, potentially making conversation even more interesting.









Ok fast forward to the beach. 


Here is why camping chairs should be reserved for camping only. 
(Assuming you typically wear pants (or at least shorts) when you're camping.)


Beach chairs are low to the ground, making it uncomfortable to stick your legs straight out. 


99.9% of people sitting in beach chairs bend their knees & stick their feet in the sand; thus lifting the thighs off of the surface of the chair, making the pantless legs look somewhat normal-sized. And tan:






Camping chairs, on the other hand, are typically taller 
(my guess is to prevent snakes or badgers from biting your bum), & regardless of whether or not your knees are bent or straight, the sling-style canvas suspension system forces your legs do this ridiculous smushed together thing that makes your thighs look 10 billion times bigger & paler than they actually are:






Needless to say, I sat in the camping chair on the beach for about 1.3 seconds and promptly decided that I was just really much more "comfortable" lying on my towel.


Stupid camping chairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment